Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Week Ten!

So I guess last week was not the end of this wonderful blog we have been keeping. So here we go...

This class has sort of come full circle with the article about Obama's budget plan and the change in tax incentives. We discussed tax incentives for giving in the first few weeks of school and our group talked about how we do not really mind that people are only giving because of tax breaks as long as they are giving. But now with the limit on the incentive to give it could really hurt the nonprofit sector. At the same time though, it would be helping the economy. And there is the fact that when the economy is good less people need the services of nonprofits. So this leads to the question which would be the best way to go about this? On one hand, since I hope to work in nonprofits I want more and more people to give to them, but I am also a citizen of this nation and know that we are in desperate need of a strong economy. Then there is the other article about nonprofits facing a defining moment in nonprofits. No pressure here or anything right? Just basically right now is the make or break moment of nonprofits and will determine where the future lies. Don't mess up or anything, because the lives of millions are in the hands of the players right now. But while there is so much pressure it also gives nonprofits a chance to think differently and REALLY make a difference on so many levels. I am looking forward to seeing what they do, and how they handle the changes that are now the "new normal", that phrase sounds so sad, but every could has a silver lining. "New normal" could be great.

The art-endowed foundations article was very interesting. For a place like the Smithsonian to give in to the public so easily really surprised me. I am so glad that so many people and foundations stood up for what they believed in because I agree with them and this was not an ok thing to do. I assume that that the people who were against this were those who felt as if public money was going towards art that did not reflect their values, when in reality the place their money goes is towards the buildings and maintenance. The exhibits are privately sponsored. If you do not want to be affiliated with these ideas you do not need to be. Art-endowed foundations do not really come to mind when I think about foundations, but now that I know they exist I feel like I will be more aware of them and all the work they are doing. I found this letter when I googled more about the exhibit and thought that the president of the foundation did a wonderful job conveying the message in a very professional yet passionate way. (I still never learned how to make this a link after 10 weeks but I hope you guys still read it because it is great!) http://www.warholfoundation.org/foundation/35_detail.html?page=1

Also, here is a news article I saw with clips of the video. What do you guys think? I am not offended by what I see, are you?


Integrate social impact in your nonprofits DNA. Easy enough right? It could be possible if you follow the steps in the article. In a always changing society, it is important that nonprofits can change with it to appease the audience. It seems that now a days everything has to be direct and to the point. Our time is precious and we cannot be bogged down by extra details, we are in the fast lane and everyone needs to keep up. An eight word mission statement fits perfectly. Eight Words?!? was my initial thought. But now I like it. Reminds me of when I was in high school and we wrote six word novels. Keep it simple, keep it light, and you can be more effective. But what about the people who want more? Saving rain forests and building house in Venezuela, is a little vague in my opinion. But maybe with these new steps for impact organizations will be able to create more jobs and tie in to the previous article we had to read about the new normal. Maybe the direction we move in will not only affect the world we live in but also change the entire nonprofit culture. I look forward to seeing where it goes, and hope to join in soon to make a difference myself!

1 comment:

  1. I liked the arguments of some of the protestors in your video, I thought some of them were a little self righteous in a portlandia kind of way but none the less they made some great arguments. Art shouldn't be censored, especially for religious reasons and especially not by a government organization; it violates so many aspects of the whole church and state thing. The smithsonian is funded largely through tax dollars and it should reflect american art that is as diverse as the country it represents. It is important to exhibit controversial works of art because most of the time they are the works that are most important and reflect an aspect of our society that exists yet some are not ready to accept.

    ReplyDelete