Hi my name is Naria Kiani. The purpose of this blog is to synthesize the material learned about the Non-profit sector. I will be blogging about how I conceptualized this newfound knowledge. I was recently accepted into the PPPM program and look forward to actively participating in the field not only through the university but also through the local community and perhaps an even broader scale. I originally started my undergraduate, as environmental studies major but desired a more personable route in pursing the general values and disciplines in environmental studies. I found that the PPPM major incorporated many of the same ideals of environmentalism without necessarily working directly with the natural environment. I am more interested in the dynamics of communities and cities and what makes them successful or unsuccessful, while maximizing human equity. Within this broad interest I specifically would like to explore the field of community development, mainly in low income neighborhoods.
I am taking the Introduction to the Non-Profit Sector to gain a better understanding out how Non-profits operate and how they address issues that governmental programs fail to address. I am also interested in the role these organizations play in our society. I have no prior experience in the non-profit field but look forward to exploring local non-profit opportunities.
My reaction to the first week of class has been intrigued. I came into the class with a very narrow perception of non-profits. I was surprised to learn that people such as Andrew Carnegie were so influential in the field. I had previously viewed the Carnegie’s as merely another wealthy family of the United States. I think I was surprised to see someone with such power and wealth use his money in a very socially responsibly way. Sometimes such self-less actions may be backed by ulterior personal motives but after reading some of “The Gospel Of Wealth” it is clear Andrew Carnegie had a real theory and passion for philanthropy and redistributing wealth. He addressed many things that people of his socio-economic standing might have been incredibly uncomfortable with.
I lived in Houston, TX for six years and philanthropy was a huge part of the culture of the elites in my community. Most all the girls and mothers were active in some sort philanthropic organization. My observation was that most of the people participating did so for more of the social aspect, rather than for the sheer purpose of helping the less fortunate. As of now I feel that whether or whether not that was the actual case with most of the participants it is still good for society for people to be active in philanthropy and non-profits, no matter the motive.
I have also heard of corruption within non-profits. I am not sure how valid it is but I would be incredibly interested in seeing the professor and fellow classmates thoughts on the topic and whether it is a credible skepticism.
Non-profits seem to be very complex organizations that have done a lot in this country to improve the lives of its citizens. It will be interesting how the class develops and goes deeper into the inner workings of the sector.
I'm sure there is corruption within the non-profit sector. While the main goals of a nonprofit is for the betterment of whatever group they are focusing on, the way they get there might not be the least hurtful to others. Like what was briefly discussed in class, the Gates Foundation which has an extremely high endowment, and is extremely beneficial to doing work in the world. However, don't always invest their money in corporations that are not environmentally friendly or might not abide by labor and health laws. One then has to decide if it is more beneficial for them to only invest in ethically moral ways but no make as much money, or not worry to a large extent where they're investing but only that it will increase investments that can then be spent on grants and other projects.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes make the assumption that non-profits can do no wrong, but I have learned that it is incredibly hard to sense if a non-profit organization is corrupt or effective, it seems like something that would take decades to evaluate.
ReplyDeleteI have heard of some non-profits making really awful financial decisions so I can imagine how financial corruption would especially common be common. I remember when they were building Peace Health, the non-profit hospital across the river they went millions of dollars over budget. I am always curios of how organizations compensate for issues like that. It seems that in the creation of social welfare programs it is really hard to gauge if the mission of the organization actually succeeds in helping people. A lot of social issues have very complicated solutions. I hope Bob addresses corruption in class to I love scandal!
All the information that I learned about Andrew Carnegie intrigued me also. I only really knew about his steel business and Carnegie Mellon University so to see how he put his money to the betterment of society was very interesting. I looked into the subject of non-profit corruption and scandals since it was something everyone in this group seems interested to learn about and found many stories on the subject. We only tend to hear about big business corruption and sometimes fail to realize that there are nonprofits such as United Way that deal with large amounts of money as well and have had a few hiccups in their operations. I can't imagine how it would feel to make donations and trust in a foundation only to find out that your gift was not being used correctly. I found this article interesting when thinking about how one would want to run their own nonprofit.
ReplyDeletehttp://www2.guidestar.org/rxa/news/articles/2004/how-ethical-is-your-nonprofit-organization.aspx?articleId=827
Naria,
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are now part of the program! The NP sector is full of vast possibilities and I, too, often find simply keeping my eyes and ears open to the opportunities is an effective means to figuring out how I will be involved.
Carnegie's article has been interesting for many of us as it does offer insight to that family and philosophy.
I would love to hear more about your involvement/observations with the NP's in Texas and beyond :)