Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week One!

The purpose of this blog is to share our thoughts, ideas, and to create open discussions about the nonprofit sector. This is clear; but what I want to focus on is all up in the air. I do not think that I can put a label on what I will want to write about because I hope to expand my knowledge and grow throughout this course, therefore I would like my posts to show the understanding I am taking away from the course. I will call my theme a roller coaster of information, always related to the subject of nonprofits but not always the same with twists along the way. This blog will obviously connect to PPPM 280: Introduction to Nonprofit Sector because it is required and my grade depends on it, but it will also relate to the class because I want to make a career of working in the nonprofit sector and this course is one more step to making that a reality.


Because this is an online blog and as shown in class, anyone can stumble upon this I will keep my background information short, and save the rest for my
match.com profile. I grew up in the Bay Area, along with everyone else here at the University of Oregon. My mother is a nurse and my father is a police officer, so there has always been an important emphasis on giving back to others throughout my life. I wish I could say that I came to the conclusion that giving back was something that was always going to be part of my life on my own, but my mother is the one who truly planted the seed. From a young age she would volunteer our family to do things for others, or I would tag along with her to charities she would help with on her own. In high school I became involved in many programs in the area from domestic violence awareness coalitions to helping coordinate fundraisers for a nonprofit that provides services to those who are developmentally disabled. I became invested in changing peoples lives, and it is like no other feeling in the world. I want to help change the world, but I would be happy with changing someone's life also, because of this I am here at the University of Oregon, studying a PPPM major with minors in Spanish and Nonprofit Administration, and learning all I can about the nonprofit sector.

Just the idea of this course is very exciting to me, and when I got to the first class I knew it was going to be great. There was such a positive energy in the classroom and when Bob began to speak, he was not like any other teacher I have had here, the most entertaining by far. In the readings and in class the origins of nonprofits were addressed. This was very interesting to me, they both were filled with fun facts and information that I did not know. The idea of how nonprofits came to be never really even crossed my mind until last week. It is very interesting that one person can create something that is more powerful than they could ever imagine is truly crazy and very inspiring and I look forward to being inspired throughout the course.

ts, ideas, and to create open discussions about the nonprofit sector. This is clear; but what I want to focus on is all up in the air. I do not think that I can put a label on what I will want to write about because I hope to expand my knowledge and grow throughout this course, therefore I would like my posts to show the understanding I am taking away from the course. I will call my theme a roller coaster of information, always related to the subject of nonprofits but not always the same with twists along the way. This blog will obviously connect to PPPM 280: Introduction to Nonprofit Sector because it is required and my grade depends on it, but it will also relate to the class because I want to make a career of working in the nonprofit sector and this course is one more step to making that a reality.


Because this is an online blog and as shown in class, anyone can stumble upon this I will keep my background information short, and save the rest for my
match.com profile. I grew up in the Bay Area, along with everyone else here at the University of Oregon. My mother is a nurse and my father is a police officer, so there has always been an important emphasis on giving back to others throughout my life. I wish I could say that I came to the conclusion that giving back was something that was always going to be part of my life on my own, but my mother is the one who truly planted the seed. From a young age she would volunteer our family to do things for others, or I would tag along with her to charities she would help with on her own. In high school I became involved in many programs in the area from domestic violence awareness coalitions to helping coordinate fundraisers for a nonprofit that provides services to those who are developmentally disabled. I became invested in changing peoples lives, and it is like no other feeling in the world. I want to help change the world, but I would be happy with changing someone's life also, because of this I am here at the University of Oregon, studying a PPPM major with minors in Nonprofit Administration and Spanish, and learning all I can about the nonprofit sector.

Just the idea of this course is very exciting to me, and when I got to the first class I knew it was going to be great. There was such a positive energy in the classroom and when Bob began to speak, he was not like any other teacher I have had here, the most entertaining by far. In the readings and in class the origins of nonprofits were addressed. This was very interesting to me, they both were filled with fun facts and information that I did not know. The idea of how nonprofits came to be never really even crossed my mind until last week. It is very interesting that one person can create something that is more powerful than they could ever imagine is truly crazy and very inspiring and I look forward to being inspired throughout the course.

4 comments:

  1. Why did you decide to major in PPPM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about the roller-coaster, not only because I appreciate roller coasters and analogies, but also because it seems like your blog is going to be fun to read and that you have a unique insight into what it is like to volunteer with a non-profit because your long history of past work. The idea of non-profit history had never occurred to me either. I think because I noticed an influx in non-profit activity recently I assumed that it was a relatively new sector. It seems that more and more non-profits are popping up to compensate for what government run social programs miss. I think they are a good way to improve government social programs without having to go through all of the bureaucracy it takes to change a social program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post! I found it inspiring how you worked with non-profits all your life and found a real calling for yourself. I like the idea that you can forge your own path and it sounds like you've done that. I think a lot of the time people are intimidated to work in non-profits because there is always someone who is donating more or doing more than you but I think you are a great of example of someone who helps when they can and how they can. I'm sure you have done a lot for your community in the Bay Area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this blog incorrectly so here is my additional information. I decided to major in PPPM because I want to run a nonprofit. I always thought I wanted to start my own, but there are many nonprofits out there that already exist that are very appealing to me. There does not need to be nonprofits with the similar goals competing against each other for clients and for funds so I would be happy to hop on board with them and contribute my thoughts and ideas.

    I did not go as far depth in the readings as I should have so here are my thoughts. The reading on theories interested me because it showed how everything can lead to the existence of the nonprofit sector. From Anthropology to Economics there is evidence to the existence. I now see why there are recommended courses for being a PPPM major. Sociology and Anthropology courses give us the resources to understand a group of people and their demographics. Because there is a strong understanding of a population their needs can be pin pointed, addressed, and dealt with in an effective manner. My microeconomics teacher was doing research on altruism and the effect it has on the brain. He stated that from the point of view of an economist giving your money away does not make sense. But as he continued his research it was clear that people who give their money away are happier people. Speaking of people giving their money away, Andrew Carnegie's "The Gospel of Wealth" addressed those who had a large amount of wealth and what they should do with their money. I feel that there is really no need to live in excess so why not do something beneficial with the money you have instead of buying your fourth car. I am all for living comfortably, but excess is not necessary. In class and in the chapter one reading the concept of the board of directors was addressed. I enjoyed learning more about that because I was always under the impression that the board of directors were paid. I must admit though that my knowledge of a board of directors comes from watching shows like Gossip Girl and The O.C. Its nice that the board of directors gets to play a large role in a nonprofit and still maintain jobs and lives outside of it.

    ReplyDelete