Something that I forgot to mention from last weeks reading was Darwin’s theory of altruistic behavior between ants. I am interested in what types of biological, sociological, and physiological reactions encourage us to feel rewarded by helping others. Once again I felt inclined to Google it and I found an article that discussed how helping others is good for our mental health. An interesting argument that the argument addressed was that altruism feels good to us because nature around us gives to us and by being altruistic we feel one with nature. I think even Darwin could agree with that statement. I will certainly think twice next time I get out the Raid.
In the document that listed the eight characteristics of a non-profit organization I thought that the third characteristic brought up a great point that reminded me of a bad experience I had working for a nonprofit in the past. I had difficult time working in an organization with such a casual mentality and work ethic. It seemed that the person who oversaw me did not know how to correctly delegate work. As an intern I was seeking a more structured work environment that would challenge me to explore new areas of the grant writing process. I thought that the over relaxed work environment blurred the lines too much; it was difficult to understand what aspects of tasks were truly priorities. I agree with the girl who brought up the idea of unionization of nonprofit workers in class. I think that the nonprofit workplace could really benefit from unionization, providing a more structuralized division of labor, which might lead to more productive and effective work. I understand the other sides of the argument but the perspective that I have gained from my past experience leads me to believe that nonprofits need a push to make themselves a little more legitimate. I think unionizing could encourage this because paying higher wages could attract well qualified people into the field and cause the nonprofit sector to be taken a little more seriously as a institution and as a career path.
I was so surprised in class to learn that religious organizations made up the largest bracket of NPO’s. I personally do not know any really religious people, which is strange because I went to a catholic high school. I was raised catholic but I wouldn’t describe my family as religious, we are Christmas and Easter Catholics, I think I know only three people who go to church every Sunday. In my community church is not of great importance in daily life. This is why I was so surprised to learn that ninety percent of adults say that religion is important in their lives. I almost wished that the surveyors would have asked what degree of importance church is in adults lives, I feel that this would be a more accurate reflection of religious participation in the United States. To me ninety percent participation in religion does not reflect the way I view religion in the United States. However it does make me happy to know that people still participate in religious activities and that communities have religious venues to share collected values and share those values with the community. However I also believe that it sometimes is easier to facilitate the communities needs without religious motivation because I think it can be difficult to avoid imposing religious values on the group of people you are seeking to help.
The other reading proposed an interesting policy problem. I am unsure how I feel about cutting charitable deductions to pay for healthcare especially because many charitable organizations help to care for people who don’t have coverage. I think that we are in a really tough place policy wise right now considering that the new speaker of the house has proclaimed that he will not, “compromise.” With the extension of the bush tax cuts I worry that there will be no way to pay for social healthcare and it will be so underfunded it will be doomed to fail. Although I think that deductions on charitable donations are beneficial to everyone I fear these are the kinds of things we are going to have to cut to make the healthcare bill succeed.
I agree, we are in a really tough place with policy right now. As of now it seems as though there is just no winning with this new health care initiative. It is a shame that we have to cut a good thing like charitable donation deductions. I can't help but think there must be something else to cut back on or re-assess before cutting back on those. People fight change so harshly, it seems that brash decisions are being made to please people.
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to add that I have enjoyed hearing about your interning experience, even though it did not end as you had hoped. I guess bad news is still news!
I thought it was interesting what you said about the structure of the organization that you used to work at and how the management created a casual mentality and work ethic, because in one of BA classes that I'm currently in, we just talked about how lack of structure and instead having a casual atmosphere is thought to provoke creativity within the workplace. I did not quite agree with this in my BA class, except for maybe at Pixar or a similar company, and was glad to see you mention that a casual workplace doesn't always work and even to be creative a structured environment can be beneficial. I also agree that unionization in nonprofits could be a good thing, however I do also feel that there are already decently paid positions within nonprofits and one possible downfall to increasing wages drastically might encourage more people who are not as passionate to the mission of the org. and are just looking for money. As long as people are not underpaid for their positions then I do not think that unusually high wages seen in some businesses are necessary. I also agree with what you said about the nation being in a tight spot with the policy over health care. It is an incredibly important policy and it needs to offer beneficial and sustainable health care to the US citizens, and it's crazy that especially after the events in Arizona, that everyone is calling for more civil discourse, and yet as you said the speaker of the house says that he will not compromise and that here discourse is not an option.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting that you bring up religion and the fact that you would not consider your family religious even though you went to Catholic school. I wonder if in some way that has shaped you and planted a seed in giving back and that is why you are in this class. Maybe it was not written on the wall but subtly introduced to you in a way that made you feel like it was your choice. And now here you are at the University of Oregon trying to get a degree that will help you make other people's lives better. How you got to the decision I don't know, but maybe a part of it was your religious background.
ReplyDelete