There were some interesting articles this week. I was especially excited to read the one on St. Vincent De Paul’s. Every since I was a freshman here I have been going to the various St. Vincent DePaul locations around town. Just last year I discovered the huge warehouse far out on Broadway. I hardly ever go back to the 5th street location since I found that haven. After I read the article about the business St. Vincent’s engages in I ended up feeling a little differently they I expected. I always pictured St. Vincent’s as a local, humble business. I even preferred going there over Goodwill because I thought there was value in the fact that it was local and most likely needed all the help they could get. However, after reading the article it seems as though they do business just like any other corporation, trying to increase there bottom line. It seemed as though they wanted to be competitive in a global economy, which seemed a little curious for a non-profit. These things aren’t bad but I couldn't help but think that they were just missing the values of a non-profit by engaging in so many activities seemingly 'for-profit'. I would definitely allow for the possibility that I am mistaking business savvy for something else. I will certainly continue to shop at St. Vincent’s never the less.
It seems like it would be difficult to make sure your non-profit is thriving without blurring the lines between a non-profit and for profit organization. The article on Antonio Pizano, CEO of MAAC Project, addresses this difficulty. The article discusses the controversies surrounding the charity. One of which was their two-tiered wage scale. I didn’t know exactly what this was until looking it up. After doing some research I found that this type of wage system gives lower wages to some of its workers and has some adverse effects such as demoralizing its workers. I can’t imagine it would be easy to shake controversies surrounding such a business philosophy in the non-profit sector. After reading the rest of the article it seemed like Pizano was trying to make a clear point of his vision for tackling the problems of the San Diego community despite allegations against him.
One thing I love about non-profits is that they are all so different from one another. Someone sees an issue, has a vision, and uses their skills and resources to address that issue. Every organization in every city is unique. Which leads to even more uniqueness in the execution of their to tackle the problems government fails to. However, In the “Understanding the tools in the affordable housing toolkit” article the issue of Washington DC’s lack of affordable housing suggested that sometimes these problems aren’t as difficult to solve as they are to be comfortable with. Author Malcolm Kenton suggests that simply increasing the minimum wage may be the necessary approach that is often ignored. According to the Labor Law Center, DC’s minimum wage is $8.25. This is on the higher end across the country but living costs are also some of the highest in the country (about.com). The disconnect between wages and living cost which sends many people into poverty that would otherwise not be is an issue that seems impossible to alleviate. I found it interesting how the author blatantly addresses a seemingly easy solution that is frequently seen as impossibly due to the nature of our economy. Hopefully the creativity of non-profits can continue to help ease the pressures felt by low-income families.
I like what you mentioned about St.Vincents for-profit behavior I mentioned this in my response two. They have a very unique business model, I too question the ethics of it. At the same time I do commend them for their success and I wonder if maybe this is where the rest of the nonprofit sector has miss stepped. Maybe nonprofit organizations should drift more in the direction of the business model but just do it ethically. Or maybe there is a way for nonprofit organizations to work with the private sector to solve social problems.
ReplyDeleteI like what you mentioned about minimum wage. Minimum wage has not been able too keep pace with the inflation of housing prices and general living expenses so it is almost pointless. It is so strange that people who work forty hours a week making minimum wage still have to be on welfare to make it through the month, I think that If minimum wage laws were reevaluated the necessity of many social programs like the one in Louisiana to assist people with their heating bills would greatly increase.
Oops I meant to say decrease.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was also interesting what you said about St. Vincents and whether nonprofits should really be competing in the same way as for-profit businesses. I though an interesting topic was brought up in class yesterday and also in my culture of capitalism class, how corporations are now considered human entities and have right to free speech. I feel that because corporations are given the right to lobby politicians and influence legislation to their benefit while nonprofits are not, that they should do everything to their benefit to maximize profits that then can benefit the community.
ReplyDeleteI felt like I did not know much about what St. Vincent de Paul's did, and unlike you I was shopping at the Goodwill.(if you want some information on what Goodwill Industries here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries) I have never really done much research on what the Goodwill does. But now that I know so much more about St. Vinnie's I feel like I will frequent that location more. Being such a large and successful nonprofit does not really bother me because I feel as if it gives them so much more power to make a greater change. The more money they make the more they are improving the community I call my home for a majority of the year and that to me is a job well done.
ReplyDelete